[Sca-cooks] Porridge, tobacco

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 19 14:59:42 PDT 2006

Adamantius commented:
  <<<That would be another good example. Then there's Julio Franco of
the
NY Mets, too. Recently he hit a home run and went on the record books
as the oldest professional player on record to do that, and then the
next day he stole a base and became the oldest player to do that
since 1909... the joke going around is that the bat he used was cut
from a tree his grandson planted during the Civil War.>>>

That latter joke might just explain things. That would make that tree
old growth timber and it's quality might be far superior to the other
bats made today. I've noticed a quite noticeable reduction in the
quality of the 2 x 4s I've bought in the last few years compared to
those pieces of scrap which for various reasons I have from 20 years
ago.

Only partly in jest,
Stefan
--------