[Sca-cooks] Re: Documentation "Fun"...was "Potatoes and personal issues"

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri May 19 19:28:13 PDT 2006

Tom Vincent wrote:
> LOL!  What a great attitude to have in an EDUCATIONAL organization!
>
> Duriel
>
> Martha Oser wrote:
>>
>> Well, YOU may think documentation is fun, and so may lots of other
>> folks, but not everyone does.
>> Personally, I find the history of food (and a great many other
>> things) fascinating, but I find research is a DRAG.  This is the main
>> reason I haven't gone back to school to get a "Pile it Higher and
>> Deeper" degree - all it really means is having to do research for the
>> rest of my life!
>> I'd rather cook good food and serve it to appreciative people, not
>> beat them over the head with my phone-book sized pile of
>> documentation while they're eating.
>> -Helena

We do have to remember that we each approach how we contribute to this
organization in different ways.  That's what makes it so great...we each
contribute what we care about, what we are interested in.  Not everyone
enjoys doing the research...in fact, my husband is a better cook than I
am, but really doesn't enjoy research or writing.  I, on the other hand,
enjoy the research and writing...and love to have everything I serve at
a feast, as far as possible, documented.  In fact, if I had the time,
I'd probably try to personally redact/reconstruct every recipe I use at
a feast.  But, as I can't, I rely on intuitive cooks like my sweetie to
help me.  And, when he does a feast, I help out with the research.  We
use the skills and interests we have to supplement the other.  To me,
that's the way we have such a great organization!  So you probably
shouldn't criticize the contribution a person makes just because it
differs from your approach.

Just my two koku worth!

Kiri