[Sca-cooks] Cast Iron pots??

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 31 18:28:45 PDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Lisa <silvina at allegiance.tv> wrote:

> The hanger is all metal, and it's been hanging there since I was a teen...
> over 20 years, without giving away my exact age hehehe. There's not even a
> sway in any of the parts of the hanger... it's well built. :)
>
> Elizabeta of Rundel

No reason a cast iron pot shouldn't hang safely for a long time on a metal
hanger, as long as the hanger itself was designed to hold the weight, and
it's either made of wrought iron or stainless, or else painted regularly to
prevent rust and consequent metal weakening. I hang my 32 inch cast iron pot
over my fire at Pennsic on a relatively light, hand made wrought iron chain
on a tripod, and, once it's set properly, never have a problem, other than
needing two elephants and a baby gorilla to lift the bloody thing when it's
full and I need to adjust the chain. Anything can be safely positioned
anywhere, as long as it's done intelligently, by people who understand the
stresses and the workings of the objects involved ;-)