[Sca-cooks] The word on Viceroys from the Viceroy and Vicereine of Østgardr...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 24 08:25:57 PDT 2006

Hullo, the list!

After all the excitement of getting through to the Viceregal
Answering Machine yesterday, I thought I'd post the response.

There is no established protocol they're aware of, except the
assumption that they'd be treated pretty much identically to any
landed baron upon stepping down. Traditionally, in the East, that
means (but not by law or necessarily) a Court Barony. However, since
they're already a baron and baroness of the court of Aelfwine and
Arastorm (whenever that was, back in the Bronze Age;  I could look it
up but it's probably enough to say it was a long time ago), and are
already peers, the remaining options include anything from a hearty
handshake and a pleasant thank you, the Baronial arts and service
award which neither of them holds, which would be given, if at all,
not by the Crown but by their successors, and possibly augmentation
of arms if the Crown felt like doing that.

Regardless, their titles will remain Baron and Master of the Pelican,
and Baroness and Mistress of the Laurel and of the Pelican.

As for precedence, they've got it among Eastern Barons not because
being Viceroy and Vicereine gives it to them (as is correctly pointed
out in EK Law), but both because of the age of the group (most
importantly; once upon a time, New York City _was_ the East Kingdom)
and to a lesser extent, by virtue of personal longevity in office.

The incoming Viceroy and/or Vicereine (we have one candidate running
on a solo ticket; if she wins she'll presumably be the Vicereine)
will not have personal precedence, but will still have that group-
associated precedence.

What that means is that on those occasions when the Barons are called
up by the Crown for whatever purpose, they essentially say, "Okay,
let's get all the Barons up here, and remember they're all equal and
none of them hold precedence. So, Herald, who's first? Oh, hullo,
it's you two again?"

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04