[Sca-cooks] Sort of off-topic - Silk Road/Himalayas

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed May 3 07:28:30 PDT 2006

I thought I'd add some personal anecdotal information for anyone
interested.

I had to the opportunity to trek in the Himalayas in the early
80's. It was an adventure and it was definitely like stepping back
in time. Once you were out of town, the only way to get anything
to the villages was by foot. They have pack trains of miniature
donkeys that carry things or they are carried in huge packs on a
person's back.

It really puts things into perspective. I would stop at a rest
stop and get a bottle of soda (it was called Lemu and was a tart
lemon flavor). Now, the guy would have about a case of these
sitting in a tub of cool water hauled from the river about 1/4
mile away (unless there was a creek or spring closer that I didn't
know about). These bottles had to be hauled up the mountain either
on someone's back or on donkeys. When you think of having to have
everything you can't make or grow yourself hauled up a mountain
(several days travel) through manual labor it really puts it into
perspective. We read about it and imagine it...but until you
really see it, it doesn't quite hit home.

The daily diet of food consisted of water buffalo meat, goat
cheese, cauliflower and potatoes. This is modern period so I'm not
sure what they used to eat. Supposedly, these were the crops that
grew best in the rocky mountainside. It was amazing how changing
the spice combinations changed the way the combinations tasted.

One of the images that sticks in my head was in a more remote area
where I was struggling up a mountain that was covered in almost a
rainforest type of jungle (the climate varied from almost desert
to rainforest during the trek). Coming the opposite direction at a
fast jog was this sherpa with a chair strapped to his back. In the
chair was this other man strapped into the chair. The man in the
chair was reading a book while the guy carried him through the
mountains! I don't know how he could read with all the jostling
but he had a book open in his lap.

Namaste,
Ysabeau

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net