[Sca-cooks] coopering (barrel making)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 3 21:24:04 PDT 2006

Phlip replied:

 > Your local garden store doesn't have half whiskey barrels?  My wife
 > and I bought one last night at a local store for $14.99.  Saw them
 > at a high class nursery Saturday for $29.99.
 >
 > Simon Sinneghe
 > Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

Haven't seen any. And, coming out to An Tir to get a whiskey barrel
and try to ship it back might not be very economical ;-)
<<<<

There are a number of places here in Austin which sell the half
whiskey barrels. I considered, but quickly decided, that fastening
two of them together to make a complete barrel wouldn't work. So when
a place was mentioned that might have complete barrels, I thought
that might be of interest to folks. New barrels can be had. Townsends
sells some smaller ones for re-enactors, but they are real expensive.
So a source for complete, used barrels would be nice.

Unfortunately, shipping complete barrels would be a bit more
expensive, maybe much more so, than the half barrels since several
times as many barrels can be shipped as half-barrels than complete
barrels because the half barrels can be stacked inside each other.

Still, it might be worth talking to Home Depot and such and see if
they can order an uncut one for you. If they won't, maybe they'll
reveal their source and you talk to them. Perhaps e-Bay might be
worth checking.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas