[Sca-cooks] More of coffee and sugar spikes:

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 4 12:23:24 PDT 2006

Ibrihim is an ER physician in NYC, mundanely, and this is his take on the
topic.

Phlip

Some interesting info from Hawk there.  Also, catacholamines in
the body (epinephrine/adrenaline and others) do cause a rise in blood
sugar.  Caffeine works through the same pathways.

 	I have no explanation as to why decaffeinated coffee should cause
a spike in blood sugars.  Perhaps the gentleman in question should perform
the test Hawk outlines to see if it's truly the case.  Generally,
the diet recommendations I've seen for diabetics allow for black coffee as
an acceptable part of the diet.

-Ibrahim al-Rashid