[Sca-cooks] Dariole/Dariola

cldyroz at aol.com cldyroz at aol.com
Fri May 5 08:29:37 PDT 2006

Good Morning!

Our Group will be holding a Demo for "We Love Homewood" Day, Saturday. As part of the Demo, we will be eating a Period-style Potluck lunch in front of everyone. It has been requested that we bring Period foods, or at least something that looks Period <G>.
Looking through my books, I found the recipe for Dariola/Dariole, a custard tart. One book has it as a large tart, and the other has it as a collection of small tarts.
My questions are;

Is there a way of doing the butter pastry to where it doesn't take on the characteristics of lead? Would it help to have the butter cold as I cut it into the flour?
Is the ratio of two egg yolks to one cup of milk doable to acheive the 'jiggle' or should that be upped? How often should I stir the custard as it is baking, or, should I not stir at all?

I don't have the recipe books here at work, but it is found in both "Playne Delight" and "Medieval Cookery".

Thank you!
Helen H.