[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP - Buttercream

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Thu May 11 05:25:24 PDT 2006

Dear Huette (and the others who have responded),

This is what I did!  I followed this recipe and instructions almost exactly.
Like I said in my first message, when it's chilled, the icing has the
texture and consistency of a stick of chilled butter.  I'm wondering if I
needed to beat it more to make it fluffier?

Anyone have any experience with cream cheese icings in the heat?  I found a
recipe that includes marshmallow fluff that supposedly has a good texture
and can be used to make decorations as well as just icing the cake.

For the gentle who asked about fondant, I strongly recommend using a
marshmallow fondant as opposed to the fondants you can purchase at the
store.  Most of those are pretty tasteless - some even say they taste bad -
but the marshmallow fondant is super-easy to make and work with.

Marshmallow Fondant
1 c mini marshmallows
1 T water
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 c powdered sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack
them in.  Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water.  Microwave for
about 20 seconds - just long enough for the marshmallows to soften and puff
up. Take out and stir until well combined - mixture will look soupy.  Then
begin adding the powdered sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated
and it is no longer sticky (you may need more or less sugar, depending on
the humidity level).  You can either do this with a spoon to start with (the
marshmallows are HOT) and finish with your hands or use your stand mixer.  I
used my Kitchenaid and still ended up finishing with a little hand-kneading.
Once the fondant has a smooth texture, you can roll it out with a standard
rolling pin.  Use a little (very little!) vegetable shortening or cornstarch
to keep the fondant from sticking to things.  If the fondant is really
sticky, let it sit on the counter uncovered for 5-10 minutes to air dry.

 -Helena