[Sca-cooks] After-action dinner report

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed May 31 15:01:24 PDT 2006

or: What I Cooked Last Weekend.

So we had pretty typical weather for Egils- rain, rain, and rain, and then
for a change, some more rain. I was thinking of buying a stock of gopher
wood, as the price would surely be going up...

Made a small feast in our camp, for the reigning Prince and Princess of the
Summits, and some assorted friends. We had:

"To boile a Capon with Orenges and Lemmons" from The Good Housewife's Jewell,

A tarte of Greens, from Menagier de Paris,

Chykens in Hocchee, from Curye on Inglysch,

Losyns, from Curye on Inglysch

a salad of greens,

A Tarte of Strawberries; from A Proper Newe Book,

and Hippocras, from a Goodman of Paris.

I used a chicken rather than a capon in the first recipe, and discovered
while cooking that I didn't have dates in the food box. The rest was pretty
well according to Hoyle. And it was gobsmacking delicious. Smelled good
too. Did discover Monday evening after I got home that it does not reheat
well. Tasted like soap. :-p But it tasted great when first made, and was
really pretty easy, just boiling, and required one pot and a serving tray.

The tart of greens was also fairly easy. I bought the new rolled-up
piecrusts at the grocery, and that made assembly in camp much easier.
Greens (spinach and mustard greens were what looked good at the grocery the
day I was there), cheese (I cheated and used a sack of pre-grated 'Italian'
cheeses from the grocery), and eggs. I assembled it like a quiche, with
some chopped sage, oregano, rosemary, and a bit of lemon balm, and some
powder forte. I did have a question about the instructions though. There is
a line that says: "then grate two kinds of cheese, that is one mild and one
medium, and then put eggs with it, yolk and white, and grate them in with
the cheese". I was a bit perplexed at the 'grating' of the eggs. I put the
eggs in raw and mixed them, but I can see how it might be read as grating
in boiled eggs. But that sort of doesn't make sense, so grate boiled eggs
into a pie. Does anyone have ideas?

The Chycken in Hocchee was fairly easy and tasty as usual, though I forgot
the sprinkling of powder douce at the end again. It was yummy anyway, and
it reheats very nicely. (I love leftovers!)

Losyns were very yummy, and I found that they went together very quickly
with my sweetie laying down the noodles and me putting the cheese and
spices in. And sitting around the table we decided that Losyns were
medieval crack. Couldn't stop nibbling on them, even after we were full!

The salad was a sack of baby greens and some chopped herbs added. A bit of
oil and vinegar and it was just right.

The Tarte of Stawberries is alarmingly pink- 'Barbie' pink- when uncooked,
and only a little less so when baked, but is absolutely delicious. And
yummy for breakfast, what little was left.

I left the galingale out of the Hippocras because I couldn't find it (not
in the basket, no clue where it is), but it was very tasty anyway. I have a
nice pitcher that has a glass thermos-style liner, and that worked very
nice for serving.

Next time I do something like this, I want to have a different table
configuration, both for serving and for workspace- my back was screaming
halfway through the prep process. But I was happy with the dinner itself,
and the royals were amazed that I did it all in camp. Not so back for a
rainy Saturday night.

Now if I could only catch up on my sleep!

'Lainie