[Sca-cooks] Sausage Stuffers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 2 12:24:50 PST 2006

Daniel replied to my question with:
<<< Were these horn stuffers based on something in period? Were they
made
out of actual horn?

Think upon a notorious English regicide which occurred in period and the
answer to your question will be revealed. ;-) >>>

To which izofgold at aol.com (sorry, you didn't sign your message) replied:

<<< Thanks for adding that Daniel. It would be nice to see someone
finally saying something nice on this list about me trying it and
having the guts to try it since all I am getting privately from
Laurels and such are put downs for even attempting something this
"dangerous". >>>

The sausage stuffing or the regicide?

<<< We took the idea, and made it as mundanely sound and safe as
possible including something on the inside of the horns that was food
grade safe. I took the idea from some pictures I had seen in a German
castle and I quickly drew sketches of along with some notes in
various period references about how they did it.  Hey - give a girl a
break you guys - I tried it!  How many cooks in the SCA actually have
to come up with their own amounts for stuff because the amounts are
NOT given, come up with the period utensils AND came up with the idea
to create as much of it as you can including using the bits that most
people mundanely wouldn't use?  Part of the reason we do this is to
learn how they did things and why and
  with what.  Unless I have missed something in which case I am
sorry.>>>

Well, if it makes any difference, I asked my question not with
criticism in mind, but to ascertain whether the use of horn in this
way was indeed a period technique and then if this was the case, then
how you went about creating and using these horn based sausage
stuffers.  I was interested in seeing if this then might form the
basis for an article for the Florilegium. Not only from a scholarly
perspective, but also one of "practical archeology". I'm not sure if
we want to start stuffing all the sausages for a feast of 300 using
these horn sausage stuffers, but it would be nice to know how it is/
was done and how it compares/differs from using a modern plastic
funnel or the sausage stuffing attachments on a mixer.

I don't see any reason to coat the inside of the horns with anything
if they are properly prepared and treated. See this Florilegium file
in the CRAFTS section for more details on working with and cleaning
horn:

horn-msg         (105K)  6/ 7/04    Working with horn. drinking horns.

It would be interesting to know if the Laurels with the putdowns have
any background in working with horn or cooking. Raising  safety
concerns is legitimate when reproducing period techniques, but saying
something shouldn't be done without checking into the concerns to see
whether they are valid is just as foolish as ignoring the concerns.

And I'm still interested in an article on your work. I can handle
photographs and diagrams as well as text. I think a public article
with supporting evidence would be a excellent counterpoint to the
private naysayers.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas