[Sca-cooks] horn spoons

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Nov 2 19:09:25 PST 2006

Spotted Pony at Pennsic

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Saint Phlip
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:46 PM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] horn spoons

There's a buckskinner/pow wow supllier that shows up regularly at my
favorite flea market selling them, I think for something pretty
niminal- $5 or something? Nicely made, nicely shaped, and you don't
hafta putz with all the cutting, shaping, and polishing of the horn.

They should be fairly widely available at similar places, so if you
look around in your area, you should find them easily enough. Mine's
just the right size to fit in my pouch, so it made it to the Metal
Smith's Symposium, although the rest of my feast gear didn't <sigh>

On 11/2/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Pyro commented:
> <<< I recall a mention of horn spoons being used for lab work and
> pharmacy prep
> because once polished, they were pretty much inert to acids, bases
> and darn
> easy to just wipe clean. Your surfaces might vary.. >>>
>
> Just in case anyone would like to make some of these, perhaps they
> have some horn scraps lying around from making horn sausage stuffers
> or some such, there is this article in the Florilegium:
>
> Horn-Spoons-art    (9K)  1/ 5/00    "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
> Gunnora
>                                        Hallakarva.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Horn-Spoons-art.html
>
> And a few cautions on cleaning them. You don't want to let these soak
> in warm water overnight, for instance...
>
> horn-utn-care-msg  (7K)  3/26/05    Care of utensils made of horn.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/horn-utn-care-msg.html
>
> ...and psst, Pyro I don't think these horn spoons would smell very
> good if you burn them.  :-)
>
> Stefan
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....