[Sca-cooks] spice storage

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 14:41:35 PST 2006

I too had an odd collection of jars and cans which I mostly stored on racks
by the stove.  Yes, I know that is the worst place but there it was.

So, I bought a bunch of nice glass/plastic top spice jars at Cost Plus.
Filled some from the old containers but mostly with fresh herbs and spices
and labeled them on top with clear preprinted round stickers and on the
bottom front with clear preprinted rectangular stickers.  The display was
amazing.  All the wonderful colors!  BUT, I knew that they needed a better
place so...

I rearranged the few drawers I have in my small kitchen and devoted one to
herbs and one to spices.  The drawer depth was perfect for the jars and I
put cardboard strips between the rows so they wouldn't slide around too
much.  The top labels make it so easy to pick out what I want.  The drawer
is deeper than I need at the moment.  In the meantime,  I store a few odds
and ends at the back.  I am sad I cannot see the colorful display but I know
the herbs and spices will last longer when kept in the dark.

I had to make up some labels as I have the usual SCA collection of odd herbs
and spices as well as many interesting but uncommon blends.  I use the old
racks for a timer, salt and pepper and a few other odds and ends.

I also created a spreadsheet that I can sort to give me a shopping list to
replace herbs and spices after a reasonable time.

I am very happy with the new arrangement and do not mind giving up the
drawer space for these most important cooking ingredients.  I love Alton's
tins stuck inside the cabinet doors, but there aren't enough doors in my
kitchen to hold the variety I have.  I agree that any of the countertop or
fold out spice racks just aren't big enough.

Katira