[Sca-cooks] medicinal recipies

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Nov 15 16:37:36 PST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> I've also considered experimenting with alkanet, which was used to
> color some foods in period (fat soluble, not water or alcohol
> soluble). It is now used as a fabric dye, and was used in the first
> half or so of the 20th C. to color lipstick.

The big question around Alkanet is whether you've got /Alkanna
tinctoria/ (Also known as Dyer's Bugloss) or /Lithospermum canescens/
(/Batschia canescens/,  also know as hoary gromwell and hoary
puccoon).  They're in the same plant family, but while /Alkanna
tinctoria/ contains a liver-damaging alkaloid, Lithospermum
canescens/ has no known hazardous qualities.

Most of the spice vendors who sell "Alkanet" in the US are selling /
Lithospermum canescens/ (though I'd ask to be sure).

- Doc

--
SCR: Unit 90x
Psy-Ops in detrimental position - must be reassigned.