[Sca-cooks] Stuffing

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 21 10:46:55 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
> > > > hmn ...

Differences between dressing and stuffing.

I make stovetop type stuffing.

For any whole big bird (when I make the big bird) I stuff the cavity with a
mixture of apples, onions, garlic and celery, all cut to about one-inch
cubes.  I also stuff the neck cavity with the same mix.  Keeps the bird
moist, keeps the cavity from collapsing, and adds flavor to the juice that
then becomes gravy.  I also add apples to the onion, garlic, celery used
when I cook the innards down to make stock.  I use the stock to make the
stovetop, and for the Saturday turkey stew.

just how I do it.  Youy milage may vary  < < < < <

I've always looked at the participles themselves for the answer . . .
STUFFing and DRESSing.

Stuffing gets stuffed into something, while dressing is prepared on the side
or separately.  YMMV from this as well.  The word "filling" gets me from
Pennsylvania Dutch land.  My step-mother makes a potato filling that is
baked in a casserole.  Confounds me little brain every time :o(

niccolo difrancesco