[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From the Boston Globe: "Hatred of Rachael Ray Can Be A Powerful Uniting Force"

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Nov 26 08:14:35 PST 2006

On 11/26/06, Elaine Koogler <kiridono at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or maybe it's her perky personality.  She's just too "cute" for
> words....ugh!  And I don't feel like I've ever learned anything from
> her...as I have from some of my favs, like Mario!  I dunno...the FoodTV
> channel seems to have so many peaks and valleys...Iron Chef, Mario's shows,
> Alton Brown, etc vs. Bobby Flay, who seems to be all over the channel in so
> many shows, Emeril who is VERY annoying, and now Rachel Ray.  Do they really
> think these latter folks are all that great!!  I guess maybe they do appeal
> to some folks...just like some of those awful "family" comedies on broadcast
> TV!
>
> Kiri

I'm going to have to object about your characterization of Emeril.
Yes, he has some annoying habits, but a lot of what he's doing is
playing to the crowd. And he does quite a bit of educating people
about food. He's very good at explaining to people what they're doing,
and why, and encouraging them to use something else if they dislike or
don't have an ingredient. He's also very much a leader in encouraging
people to use fresh foods, and the best ingredients they can afford,
rather than highly processed foods.

And his most endearing characteristic is that in a time frame where
EVERYONE is hucking this "miracle food" or that one, or vegetarianism
or many other isms, his focus is on good food, well prepared, with
relatively simple ingredients, and a strong exposure to the foods of
different cultures.

And, while I'll agree his repeated personal mannerisms, like the "Bam"
thing and pouring twice as much booze into a dish as it needs can be
annoying, they aren't half as annoying as Alton Brown's oddball camera
cuts. Granted, having an in house band is a bit unusual, but he's also
set his show up as a venue for good but lesser known musicians in
genres that are much less popular with the public.

Overall, he's very much a plus on Food Network.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....