[Sca-cooks] Sausage Stuffers

izofgold at aol.com izofgold at aol.com
Wed Nov 1 20:55:36 PST 2006

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:21:27 -0500
From: "Daniel  Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Sausages/Brats
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>

Was written;

Were these horn stuffers based on something in period? Were they made
out of actual horn?

Think upon a notorious English regicide which occurred in period and the
answer to your question will be revealed. ;-)

Daniel

Thanks for adding that Daniel. It would be nice to see someone finally saying something nice on this list about me trying it and having the guts to try it since all I am getting privately from Laurels and such are put downs for even attempting something this "dangerous". We took the idea, and made it as mundanely sound and safe as possible including something on the inside of the horns that was food grade safe. I took the idea from some pictures I had seen in a German castle and I quickly drew sketches of along with some notes in various period references about how they did it.  Hey - give a girl a break you guys - I tried it!  How many cooks in the SCA actually have to come up with their own amounts for stuff because the amounts are NOT given, come up with the period utensils AND came up with the idea to create as much of it as you can including using the bits that most people mundanely wouldn't use?  Part of the reason we do this is to learn how they did things and why and with what.  Unless I have missed something in which case I am sorry.

I wanted to see if it could be done - and I did it. --- according to my canton, the autocrat for the event in January and my fellow cooks --- I did it really really well and there was nothing left when they finished eating and - not one person got sick from it and it's been over a week.  So all safety precautions worked as they should have.