[Sca-cooks] Lazarus Long in the SCA?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 2 05:58:04 PST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 8:34 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Diapers are period.  It just depends on your definition of "diaper."
> Various little geometric patterns in illumination, for instance,
> can be
> known as "diapering," and I can easily imagine an illuminator
> trying one,
> not liking it, and changing it for another. <g>

I know there are some 14th century references to things that are
"diacred" (Scully seems to equate the term with "diaper"), and I'm
wondering if it's a reference to a motif associated, rightly or
wrongly, with Acre, just as not all Damascened or Damask things come
from Syria.

> I can also easily imagine the average medieval nanny/mother/nursemaid
> changing soiled swaddling, nappies, whatever.
> --Maire, whose favorite Heinlein quote is the one below, and who, as a
> broad-spectrum laurel (which she thinks sounds ever so much better
> than
> being described as suffering from Artistic Deficit Disorder),
> agrees with it
> whole-heartedly

My favorite Heinlein quote is:

" 'Youse guys think this blankety-blank outfit is a blankety-blank
nursery! Well it ain't! See?'
		-- attributed to a Hellenic corporal before the walls of Troy, 1194
B.C."

Adamantius