[Sca-cooks] horn spoons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 2 18:36:32 PST 2006

Pyro commented:
<<< I recall a mention of horn spoons being used for lab work and
pharmacy prep
because once polished, they were pretty much inert to acids, bases
and darn
easy to just wipe clean. Your surfaces might vary.. >>>

Just in case anyone would like to make some of these, perhaps they
have some horn scraps lying around from making horn sausage stuffers
or some such, there is this article in the Florilegium:

Horn-Spoons-art    (9K)  1/ 5/00    "Making Horn Spoons" by Mistress
Gunnora
                                        Hallakarva.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Horn-Spoons-art.html

And a few cautions on cleaning them. You don't want to let these soak
in warm water overnight, for instance...

horn-utn-care-msg  (7K)  3/26/05    Care of utensils made of horn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/horn-utn-care-msg.html

...and psst, Pyro I don't think these horn spoons would smell very
good if you burn them.  :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas