[Sca-cooks] spice storage

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Nov 8 13:32:55 PST 2006

> Margaret asked:
> <<< I need a better storage solution for my spice cabinet. I have
> square glass
> jars, plastic Penzey's bags, bags from the Indian grocery store, small
> plastic jars (Penzey's and otherwise), large Penzey's glass jars, and a
> few random boxes, all overflowing the cabinet and gradually taking over
> that corner of the counter as well. >>>
>
> Well, we discussed this in the past few weeks, and I don't have those
> comments added yet, but there is this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
> SPICES section of the Florilegium:
> spice-storage-msg (24K)  5/13/06    Period and modern spice storage.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-storage-msg.html

Actually, we discussed spice *containers* rather than storage/organization
schemes. There are a couple posts that discuss the organization, but not
many. And I've read the Flori-thingy section, too.

> <<< The people who design spice racks have no comprehension of how
> large one's
> seasoning collection can be. What do other people do to keep their
> herbs &
> spices in order? >>>
>
> In order???
>
> Actually most of mine in the multiple spice shelves on the kitchen
> cupboard door are in alphabetical order. It is the overflow in
> various boxes and some of the spice shelves which isn't in order.
>
> Stefan

Once upon a time, when I didn't have as many spices as I do now, I bought
a dozen 3" square glass jars with stoppers for my spices. My spice
collection has expanded far past those humble beginnings, though, to the
point where a lot of my spices are on the counter below the spice cabinet,
where they have fallen, because there was no room for them in the inn. At
one point I had them organized in alphabetical order, but that was before
the parent sent me a Penzey's crate of *stuff* for winter holiday and I
had to take the graduated organizer out of the cabinet in order to cram
everything in there.

I like Ranvaig's idea--I'll have to measure my cabinet to see what I can
fit in there. I'm almost positive I've seen that style spice rack at one
or more of the local stores. Also, clearly I need to ditch the big jars
because they take up too much real estate and replace them with a more
vertical container.

Many thanks to all,

Margaret FitzWilliam