[Sca-cooks] Butter- salted vs unsalted

Diane & Micheal Reid dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Fri Nov 10 10:26:04 PST 2006

Greetings
 Not even sure if butter was a commonly used product during all the time we
cover. But if "I had to hazzard a guess" then anyone who owned dairy cattle
would milk them on pretty much a daily basis, thus making cream available on
a daily basis. Since cows only produce milk after calfing. So I imagine most
butters to be fresh or unsalted.
 There are some accounts of preserving butter for the winter or shipping
from area to area, but they did not always use salt either. Again making
"me" believe most commonly used butter in period recipes would have been
unsalted.
 Cealian