[Sca-cooks] Random food-related questions....

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Nov 14 08:57:43 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
> I've got all these odd bits of topics floating around in my head, and I
> figured I'd send them out in one, big blorp.
> 1.  What's the best way to preserve murri? I want to make a whole bunch of
> it (against future usage and probable quince shortage), and then save it.
> Should I bottle it and freeze it? Any ideas? (I'm making the "byzantine"
> version.)

Freezer bag? Actually, from what I gather, as a fermented substance,
it ought to keep for quite a while.

> 2.  Has anyone played with ale barm much? A brewing friend just gave me two
> jars of it (about three cups total), from a batch of brown ale, and I'd like
> to use it in some bread, but don't know how to go about it.  It's a fairly
> substantial slurry of yeasts and such at this point.  My thought was to use
> it almost like a sourdough starter, but any advice would be much
> appreciated!

About what I'd guess, but I usually take such questions to Adamantius
or Bear ;-)

> 3.  Other than bread-making, what would you-all do if you suddenly owned 25
> lbs. of basic, Gold Medal flour? (gift/donation from same friend who gave me
> the barm) I've had a lot of problems with miller moths in my kitchen this
> year, so I don't know that I want to store it long term, so I'm looking for
> baking ideas? It's almost that time of year, plus, running the stove keeps
> that end of the house warm!
>
> --Maire

We put it in a plastic baggy and put it in the freezer until we need
it. We seem to go through times when I'm baking lotsa stuff (usually
bread) and times when we don't. The freezer keeps the flour fresh for
between times, and it's too cold for bugs to function.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....