[Sca-cooks] medicinal recipies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 15 17:06:08 PST 2006

I'd try to locate a copy of Lampe, K. F., McCann, M. A. 1985. AMA Handbook
of poisonous and injurious plants. American Medical Assoc. Chicago, Ill.,
USA.

Indigo is associated with a number of plants in the genera Amorpha and
Baptisia, so there may be varying degrees of toxicity.  There are no
recorded cases of indigo poisoning, but it probably be advisable to be
careful.

Alkanet contains some alkaloids that may cause problems with long term
exposure.  Again care would be advised.  I have come across a reference to a
paper describing a chemical reaction that will cause metol (a sulphate salt
used in photographic developing) poisoning.  Usually, it appears as
dermatitis from contact poisoning.

I haven't found scientific studies online for either that I would trust.

Bear