[Sca-cooks] rose-infused oil vs. rose otto?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 16 00:35:01 PST 2006

Sydney replied:
<<< The name used in modern perfumer, aromatherapy, etc. is actually
rose otto
(I believe that attar is the etymology of otto).  In modern terms, attar
usually refers to an oil distilled into sandalwood oil.

 > I think Sydner meant "attar of roses," which is highly
concentrated, and
 > very, very expensive, being, IIRC, actual oil of roses.  "Rose-
infused"
 > would imply an external source of oil, acquiring the rose scent/
flavor to
 > some varying degree (strong or not) through an infusion process.
 > At least, that's how I interpreted it. >>>

Thank you. Although I couldn't think of it at the time, "attar of
roses" was what I had heard before, so this "rose otto" was confusing
me. So, an otto is the oil actually obtained from a plant, while an
attar is a combination of the plant essence and the oil used to
extract it?

The following is a message that was posted here several months ago.
This would be an attar of roses, rather than a rose otto, correct?

This sounds like a two part recipe. First extract the rose essence
into the olive oil. Then mix the resulting olive oil with tree oil or
a butter/wax mixture. What would "tree oil" be? Walnut oil, perhaps?
And why mix the olive oil with more oil instead of using the oil as
it already is? And why butter and wax or only tree oil? Or am I
interpreting that wrong and either the tree oil or the butter is to
be mixed with the wax?

Stefan

-----