[Sca-cooks] galangal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 12:55:48 PST 2006

Celia commented:
<<< Auntie Arwen's blend sounds pretty much where I'm trying to
go, except that I'm also not familiar with galangal.  But I may give
hers a
try if I can't figure out my own blend, and see how it works out. >>>

You might want to just order some of Arwen's blend, at least to try
it. The catch is the galangal. You can find out more about galangal
in the link I give below. The trick is getting the galangal into a
powdered form that can be used in such a spice mixture. Galangal is a
root and generally when you find it, it will be in large chunks, up
to about a quarter inch in size. There are a number of reports in the
file about galangal, because it is very hard, distroying spice
grinders. I have found galangal in powdered form, once in an oriental
market. I think that the Pepperer's Guild may sell galangal in
powdered form since they sell a spice mixture which includes it.
Since I wanted it for the spice mixture, and they sold that, I just
bought the spice mixture.

At least in the form of the large root chunks, it should keep quite
well.

galangale-msg     (30K)  6/11/06    Period use of the spice galangale.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/galangale-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas