[Sca-cooks] Fresh fennel

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 19 14:46:17 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
> the cooler months I like to make all sorts of modern soups with it.
>
>   What do you fine cooks suggest I do with all the extra fronds?  I'm sure
> they are good for something, but I don't need that much for garnishing
soup.
><<<<<<<

Either drying them and holding for later use . . . or I use them in sautees
with leeks or onions as another layer of flavor.  I don't use much as the
flavor is pretty pronounced, but it adds a unique base flavor in mire poix
or boquet garni veggy/herb mixes.  You cold also use in cusines that use
fenugreek . . . not the exact same flavor, but a relative of various
licorice flavored plants.

Drop a little minced fronds (maybe 1/8 tsp per quart) into your tomato
sauces with other herbs and see what it does for you.

niccolo difrancesco