[Sca-cooks] period prices

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 19 23:04:33 PST 2006

Bear commented:
  <<< The second URL comments on an apothecary in Barcelona (IIRC)
selling pepper
for 5 sous per pound and that the price was fairly consistent with
the price
earlier in the century.  If I'm correct about the coinage, that would
have
been the equivalent of the English five silver pennies.  At about the
same
time in England, a single sheep sold for about 48 to 50 pence with the
capacity to return that value in wool in one to four years depending
on the
market.  >>>

I'm a bit confused here.
I think you are saying, 5 sous = 5 English silver pennies.

But how do these silver pennies relate to pence? Or are "pence" the
same as "pennies"?

Which would mean that a sheep was worth about ten pounds of pepper.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com