[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Nov 20 15:35:16 PST 2006

On 11/20/06, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:
>
> > Well, I've been entertaining myself with convincing the guys on
> > TheForge, a mundane (sorta) smithing List that cooking is just a
> > variety of smithing. I mean, you heat up steel, and make something
> > good, right? No big difference ;-)
>
> One of the great moments in my time in the SCA was when I was
> patiently trying to teach four or five fighters how to make puff
> pastry (height and upper body strength being useful things behind a
> rolling pin), and they just weren't getting it at all, until I said
> something about lamination, and one of them yelled out, "Holy sh**!
> We're making Damascus steel!!! I _knew_ this was the coolest!"
>
> Hey, somewhere I have a copy of a book about cooking on your car
> engine. I bet those recipes could be adapted pretty easily...
>
> Adamantius

Cooking over a charcoal forge is no different than cooking over a
charcoal grill, except you need to be careful about knocking your pots
over when you're moving the steel in and out of the fire. Wouldn't do
it if I were using coal for a fuel, because I don't like coal
flavotred food, but I also used to use one of those sandwich grill
things, on the end of a long handle, back when I was shoeing horses.
Get hungry, slap a steak or a pork chop or a grilled cheese sandwich,
whatever, in the sandwich holder, put it into the lit forge for a few
seconds, and voila- hot cooked food out in the middle of some barn
yard. Used to put my coffee pot on the top- always had hot coffee.
Now, I put it on the charcoal forge- there's quite a few in the EK who
have seen me do it ;-) All you really need to cook is food and heat.
Everything else is just details ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....