[Sca-cooks] Spices for preservation of meats

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 11:15:50 PST 2006

Hunger is the seed of commoners' revolts during the Middle Ages
especially. In this particular case the John of Gaunts' third poll tax
did trigger off the revolt of 1381 and Savoy Palace, one of his manors,
as others, was burned down after it was sacked and peasants invaded his
forests to take game as a result.
What is my reference(s) is (are) with all my English history notes in
Madrid. Another reason for going back but due to airlines weight
restrictions books especially are coming to my new home piece meal.
I do remember Jane Plaidy made a big thing out of hunger being the pith
of the matter - at least in my eyes - in her novel about Katherine
Swynford, John of Gaunt's lover who later became his third wife. As
reading historical novels is my hobby, out of curiosity I check what
seem to be facts to see if they true and indeed I have checked this
Plaidy novel for this. In this case I found The Statute of Labor sowed
the seed of hunger for prices increased after the Black Death while
laborers' wages were frozen.
I did, however, find the Gregory Clark provides Table 3: Living Costs
1200's to the 1560's by Commodity Groups in his article on "The
Condition of Working Class in England 1209-2003 at
http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/gclark/papers/wage%20-%20jpe%20-2004.pdf

which states that the percentage of the laborer's income spent on grains was
8.6% between 1340-9; 12.8% 1350-9; 12.8% 1360-6; 12.4% 1370-9 and then
fell to 8.5% from 1380-9 as grain produced their "daily bread" I see a
definite correlation between reasons the Peasant Revolt and these
percentages.
Back to spices, it is also to noted on this chart are pepper prices:
196.1% between 1340-9; 334.1% 1350-9; 214.4% 1360-9; 254.9 1370-9;
164.2% 1380-9. Over the same period salt prices are 23.1% between
1340-9; 55.2% 1350-9; 46.3% 1360-9 and 52.9% 1370-9; 44.1% 1380-9. Meat
and fish are not mentioned but we do know that salt was a primary
ingredient in the preservation of them. Perhaps this indicates that
lower classes could more readily prepare meat and fish for storing
during the decade of the 1380's than in previous decades immediately
following the Black Death if and when available.
Also see The Peasants’ Revolt 1381 Summary. Source:
http://www.edgegrove.herts.sch.uk/
Susan