[Sca-cooks] Stuffing

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Tue Nov 21 12:07:30 PST 2006

I know, this is one of those grumpy messages again,

But how come I  have been making and stuffing the Thanksgiving and Christmas
Turkeys for nearly 50 years now (I was 10 and my mother cheerfully turned it
over to me), my mother did it for the 30 years before that, and my
grandmother, a pioneering farm wife did it as a did it while they homestead
in South Dakota in the 1898 (one word - DON'T South Dakota is a great place
for buffalo and prarie grass) and to out knowledge no one ever had a case of
food poisoning?  I make my stuffing with everything including the chicken
stock the night before, mixing it by putting all the ingredients in a brand
new small plastic trash bag (hey, it just got torn off the big roll in the
pantry, never been near the garbage) and immediately put it in the
refrigerator alongside the thawing turkey (still in it's store bag).  My
mother used paper grocery bags.  My grandmother used the dough trough she
made the bread in (probably pine since it was a gift of her father), and it
was set in the "cold room" (November can be bitterly cold in South Dakota).

In my home ec classes, mumble years ago, they were warning not to stuff your
turkey the night before because of the "nasties".

I found I like the taste of truly roasted turkey better than the brown in
bag steamed ones.  Trick is a meat thermometer.  I love those "instant read
things :-).  Don't overcook the turkey and you will be fine with juicy,
tasty turkey even if it is the store brand and much cheaper than butter
ball.  The turkey has to feed around 20 people so I get the huge ones that
remind you of Baby Huey if you are near my age!

Regina Romsey