[Sca-cooks] Oysters in the shell vs. shucked oysters

SilverR0se at aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 11:10:34 PST 2006

In a message dated 11/20/2006 3:48:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

> 12 fresh ones cost slightly more than 30-40
> shucked ones.  How can this be, since there is additional work in
> shucking the oysters?

Oysters in the shell are alive and must stay alive until the moment they
slide down someone's throat. (UGH! I like my dead things really dead before I eat
them.)

Shucked oysters are already decently dead and therefore are less work to ship.

Besides, haven't you ever watched a professional shucking oysters? They are
FAST.

I highly recommend Mark Kurlansky's New York oyster epic, the name of which
escaps me now. Selene, you have my copy - what's it called?

Renata