[Sca-cooks] polenta

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 21:48:51 PST 2006

Suey asked:
<<< Are polentas grits my entries on polentas are as follow but a friend
told me someone came to her house and prepared grits, as her mother but
her friend made them yellow and put cheese on top and called them
polentas. They were much better than the 'grits' she ate in her youth.
Are polentas the same as grits?  >>>

ummm. I thought cous-cous was a specific grain.

Polenta ca be prepared from several different grains. In period, I
believe wheat was most common, although maize was used in 16th
century Italy.

polenta-msg       (20K) 12/13/05    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

Stefan
--------