[Sca-cooks] Epulario vs. Platina for Armored Turnips AND what shape of cookware?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Nov 28 04:08:39 PST 2006

Did you go to a library and speak to a research and reference
librarian? I am somewhat shocked that they failed to produce
details regarding the Epulario. A search of either RLIN or FirstSearch
should have turned up the microfilm and EEBO editions.
ESTC would have filled in the details.

The Epulario was translated into English in 1598.
It's not been republished except for the purple
comb bound edition that Falconwood Press did for
the SCA market back in 1990. A new edition is in the works,
but it will be 2008 before it appears.

It is available as part of EEBO and is also part of the microfilmed
books that UMI filmed for their Early English Books, 1475-1640
collection. So academic libraries may offer you either the online
EEBO version or the microfilmed edition. What you will be seeing
is the Huntington Library copy which is what UMI filmed.
Talk to your nearest college or university library and ask about
availability.
You may have to pay a fee to use their collections, but if you want to see
the book, it will be worth the price.

As to Platina, get hold of a copy of Millham's edition.
Titled
Platina. On Right Pleasure and Good Health. It came out in 1998.

There are two new Martino versions. One is by the University of California
Press. http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9423.html
The other is by Octavo. http://www.octavo.com/editions/mrtlac/

You should be able to obtain and look at both.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis