[Sca-cooks] treating food with lye

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 29 06:16:20 PST 2006

Hominy is hulled, dried corn.  The hulls are removed through boiling.  Lye
hominy is produced when lye is used to soften the hulls before boiling.  In
the U.S. hominy is commonly used to refer to lye hominy.  Hominy and lye
hominy were developed in the pre-columbian Americas and are cultural
transfers, so you probably won't find any references to lye soaked grain in
Europe.

Polenta is the Italian variant of cooked grain meal, which is probably of
Neolithic or older origin and is found in most human cultures.  Maize
polenta is eaten all over Italy, but it is most associated with northern
Italy because that is the major maize growing region of the country.

Bear