[Sca-cooks] FW: Elizabethans using Platina and proper cookware

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 30 14:56:57 PST 2006

The primary source for spices in Elizabethean England was the Lisbon spice
market, however English traders also traded with the Arabs in North Africa
for sugar aand spices and were already moving into the Spice Islands by the
time of Francis Drake's circumnavigation (1577-1580).  The Lisbon spice
market was closed to the English and the Dutch in 1594 forcing the founding
of the Dutch East India Company that year and the formation of the English
East India Company (chartered December 31, 1600).

Following Vasco da Gama's successful voyage of 1497-98, Lisbon became a
major spice port in Europe.  Dealing directly with Portuguese factories in
India, they were able to cut prices and reduce the power of Venice, who had
the Alexandians as middlemen.  In 1536, the Portuguese took Sri Lankha and
effective control of the cinnamon trade.  They controlled the trade until
1658, when the Dutch seized the island.

Bear