[Sca-cooks] Martha Washington's pound cake

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 03:07:23 PST 2006

I always thought the "cone" in the middle of the Bundt pan was to cook
evenly, since the cake mixture isn't as evenly distributed as in a 13x9 or a
round flat pan.  I've never used one of the rose pans---you may want to push
the cake mixture down a little in the center to help it cook.

Yes, all the main ingredients are 1/2 pound.  People would get really
confused about the eggs, since we're used to counting them for a recipe, not
weighing them.  But eggs didn't come in nicely graded sizes packed in
styrofoam.

The butter doesn't have to be fluffy, just soft enough to mix well with the
other ingredients.

You beat the eggs separately to help keep the cake light, as it is quite
dense, as I'm sure you've noticed from commercial pound cakes.  The more you
beat them, the lighter the cake will be, but you don't need to even reach
the soft peak stage (unless you want to), so probably just beat them for a
few minutes.

I don't know the chemistry behind buttering & flouring the pan, just that it
helps release the baked goods from the pan.  Pam has come out with a baker's
cooking spray that has flour in it.

Test for doneness by sticking a straw or toothpick or something similar in
the center of the pan.  If it comes out clean, and the cake is pulling away
from the edges of the pan, it's done.  Let it cool in the pan for a few
minutes before turning it out.  Hope it turns out!

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.