[Sca-cooks] food manners/tipping

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Nov 2 05:45:17 PST 2006

I'd also like to point out that there's a huge, vast chasm of difference
between the "minimum" wage and an actual "living" wage.  I live in a state
that usually ranks in the bottom 5, if not actual last place, for per capita
wages, and at that, that number is still several thousand above what my
salary is (and I'm not doing too badly, relative to others in the area).
The only reason I make what my city calls a "living wage" is because I'm
single and have no dependents.
Otherwise, I agree with you both, having also done my stint in the food
service industry ;o).  I can understand (and share) the frustration of being
expected to voluntarily cough up a significant surcharge to support
employees of a restaurant or delivery service who *should* be given a living
wage from their employer.  I'd never be so crass as to say it at dinner,
though!
--Maire, who lives in a city (Missoula) that supports living wages, if only
for those in businesses with city/county connections, and in a state
(Montana) that does no such thing.  And yes, I do tip, and none of the silly
penny business.  If the service were actually that bad, I'd probably be
speaking to the manager.  Otherwise, I relax and have a good time, and
accept the free bottle of wine they send our way when they mix up the orders
;o)