[Sca-cooks] Sausage Stuffers

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 08:58:08 PST 2006

Michael Gunter wrote:
>> I am getting privately from Laurels and such are put downs for even
>> attempting something this "dangerous".
>>

> I see nothing dangerous in this as long as the horn and casings have
> been properly cleaned. Nobody thinks twice about the Viking types
> drinking out of their horns.
>
> Personally, I admire this type of research and would love to give it
> a try myself. But then I'm not a Laurel so I'm sure THEY know better.
> <Insert sarcasm and irony filter>
>
> Gunthar

The put-downs and snotty attitude become no noble well.  However, the
only point I can see is that one does not always necessarily know what
chemicals have been used on a horn of unknown provenance.  Nor is it
easy to sterilize the horn afterwards to modern standards, since horn
softens in boiling hot water as we all know.

I really love the idea of using period implements as much as possible
and a horn looks SO much better than a mere plastic funnel.  If you have
a good horn that you wish to use again for this purpose, I might gently
advise a dip in Enviro-Tex, an excellent two-part resin product, tough
enough for bar tops and clean enough to eat off of.  You could wash it
up and then blow the horn to bring people to the dinner table!
Ta-ran-ta-ra!

Selene