[Sca-cooks] Random food-related questions....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Nov 14 12:41:13 PST 2006

I didn't figure I could keep it for long.  If nothing else, the kitchen's at
the cold end of the house, which means that in winter, it's actually almost
unpleasant to spend time back there unless I'm baking something in the oven.
I was more wondering about quantities--suppose I'll just have to experiment.
Oh, darn.  And my friend's a she, actually, and she owns a winery, and makes
batches of beer/ales on a regular basis, so I don't have to worry about
keeping the yeast-beasties alive.  Dunno if the stuff is from the top or the
bottom--I suspect the bottom, given that it's pretty thick.  Right now, it's
in a couple of Ball canning jars.  I'll probably remove the tops and cover
them loosely with several layers of cheesecloth.
I'd like to try a couple of different recipes--a bread, certainly, but I was
also thinking of something like some of those small cakes that have barm in
them for leavening....
Thanks for the feeding/care advice.  I hadn't actually thought of bacterial
issues.
--Maire