[Sca-cooks] The 50th annual SCA-Cooks Thanksgiving list!

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 10:26:01 PST 2006

>mashed potatos with no butter butter or milk, plain green beans,
>etc.

There is no reason to make vegan dishes boring. It sounds almost
like they are planning to make unappetizing dishes in order to "punish"
this person and make everyone miserable. Thanksgiving dinner has a
ton of vegetable dishes that can be enjoyed by everyone.

>I know he is family, but how far would you go to accomodate one
>person's special diet before telling them to bring their own food? I

I think the "tofukey" is a bad idea. But they can take pressed tofu
and marinate it or use something like the the wonderful lemongrass
tofu the Vietnamese market next door makes. Just stir-fry the
marinated tofu in a teriyaki glaze or whatever. It makes a great main
dish for him and also a tasty side dish for the diners.

Take fresh green beans and shiitake mushrooms, toss with olive oil
and a bit of toasted sesame oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 degree
oven for 15 minutes or so. Toss with toasted sesame seeds.

For the mashed potatoes; boil the potatoes and fluff with a potato
ricer. Add a good vegetable stock and herbs.

Bake a whole sweet potato. Serve his with a drizzle of olive oil and
sweet spices and serve others with a nice dollop of butter.

The cake sounds like it could be wonderful.

These are just a couple of suggestions off the top of my head, but
I think you can see it doesn't take much imagination to create a meal
everyone can enjoy.

>Ysabeau

yers,

Gunthar