[Sca-cooks] Larding Pork Loin???

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:23:38 PST 2006

> >larded bird, with a pound or so of fresh pork fatback and a larding
> >needle...
>
> Very cool. I'd like to get hold of a larding needle at some
> point and play with it. Mainly with pork loin and venison.

Gunthar, I can understand larding of venison, but pork loin?  Is your
source of pork that much drier / extremely trimmed than what I've been
dealing with?

If anything, I end up with too much pork grease from the
roast-in-the-paper-bag method, at least when using the semi-standard
cryovac packaged loin -- which still has "some" fat attached.  Admitted,
the rub is made "wet", with just enough oil to make it easy to apply,
and the oiled bag holds in the steam / moisture, but with any additional
fat introduced...  (O, follow-up:  last night's loin roast was VERY well
received at today's office "feed".)

Now, if I were working without a covered pan or the bag, then I could
see some over-trimmed pork roasts being "difficult".

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |