[Sca-cooks] Oysters in the shell vs. shucked oysters

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 22 14:09:22 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 2:10 PM, SilverR0se at aol.com wrote:

> Oysters in the shell are alive and must stay alive until the moment
> they
> slide down someone's throat. (UGH! I like my dead things really
> dead before I eat
> them.)

Yes, but these are live things... at least they don't skip around on
your plate.

> Shucked oysters are already decently dead and therefore are less
> work to ship.

In addition, many shucked oysters are pasteurized, and sometimes also
have various preservatives added; consequently they have a longer
shelf life, all other things, such as time spent in storage uneaten,
being equal. As a result, it takes fewer live oysters

> Besides, haven't you ever watched a professional shucking oysters?
> They are
> FAST.

I can second this; I used to do it at the Oak Room at the Plaza
Hotel. I'm probably faster than most here on this list, but I was too
slow to do it for long...

Adamantius