[Sca-cooks] Fruit Paste - Boxes!

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 13:33:47 PST 2006

Unfinished wood can give an off taste to food that is contained in it. After it's been used a bit that issue will go away because the pores of the wood take up some of the food flavor.  This isn't helpful in the short term, however.

  If the inside of the wood box was first coated with a thin layer of parafin, I suspect that would work just fine and not add any flavor, assuming that the fruit paste was warm rather than hot when put in the box.

  Cordelia Toser

Mark Hendershott <crimlaw at jeffnet.org> wrote:
  At 11:06 AM 11/26/2006, Femke wrote:

>I've actually used those. Michael's has had the 4" ones on sale for real
>cheap. But I've gotten an off flavor, and it makes me worry a little about
>hot sugar paste in contact with a non-foodsafe adhesive. Anybody know
>anything about woodworking adhesives in these sorts of situations?
>
>Femke

Fully cured adhesives commonly used for wood should not be big
problem..A food safe coating inside should ease the problem as well
as aid in release of the product. Olive or mineral oil would get the
job done I would think. I'd sand lightly first in case the
manufacturer used something that is giving you the taste.

Simon Sinneghe
Briaroak, Summits, An Tir