[Sca-cooks] Polenta

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 28 16:01:05 PST 2006

Couscous is not pasta in the normal sense that it is a mix of flour, water,
eggs, etc.  It is processed grain meal.  A coarse grain meal is dampened and
rolled into pellets, said pellets being sieved and returned to the process
until they don't pass through the sieve.  Finished pellets are dusted with
dry semolina to keep them from clumping.  In most countries it is treated as
a grain.  The term couscous (I have been informed) is also used to describe
similar dishes of other grains than semolina.

The "weak protiens" are the adhesive protiens found on the surface of the
grain and not the gluten that is common with pasta.

Polenta is a gruel of grain meal, that has been boiled and may have a
consistence from porridge to bread.  These days it is usually served in
slices, but in some cases it may be broken apart (I understand this to be a
Sicilian custom) and used as a base for other dishes as is couscous.  Gachas
appear to be an evolution of polenta.

Grits are any coarsely ground grain meal, so both polenta and couscous are
commonly made from grits.

According to one source, couscous probably entered the Arab world from West
Africa around the 10th Century.  Islam became a major force in the region
between the 11th and 13th Centuries, so this ties quite nicely with the
widespread use of couscous starting in the 13th Century (and possibly
earlier).  I would speculate that before they used couscous the Moslems used
grain meal and that the couscous replaced the plain meal in their dishes.
This would give Medieval writers a reason to equate polenta and couscous.

Bear