[Sca-cooks] Joy of Cooking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 2 21:24:02 PST 2006

 > The new old ?Joy? is essentially a rewrite of the 1975 edition, the
 > most popular one. It corrects, at least in the mind of Ethan
 > Becker, Irma Rombauer?s grandson and the keeper of the family
 > franchise, the big mistake that was the 1997 version.
 >
 > That book took on and largely succeeded at what was a daunting
 > task: mastering the mountain of culinary changes that took place
 > between the mid-1970s and the mid-1990s.

So what were these "mountain of culinary changes that took place
between the mid-1970s and the mid-1990s"?

The increasing use of the microwave oven is the main one that comes
readily to mind, although the greater use of ethnic recipes and
availability of specialty ingredients also occur to me.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com