[Sca-cooks] Late SCA-Period Sweets?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 09:57:54 PDT 2006

Sandra Kisner wrote:
>>> I have an old class handout with 16th century German cake, pie and cookie
>>> recipes. Most of those store very well. You could combine them with
>>> preserves, cotignac, or fruit 'confect' for a proper Renaissance effect.
>>> Shall I send it over?
>>>
>>> YIS
>>>
>>> Giano
>>>

> Add me to the list, please.
>
> Speaking of cotignac, is there a trick?  When I cook down quinces (or
> Japanese quinces) I get something like applesauce.  Is cotignac made from
> the strained juice?  The references I've seen don't seem to say that.
>
> Sandra

Yup...pretty much what I got.  So what I did was to cook it longer, then
spread it out in a flat pan...and left it to dry out.  Which it seemed
to do after several days.  Surely I've missed something?

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn