[Sca-cooks] parching, was: Smoked Meats in general

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Oct 9 19:14:19 PDT 2006

As I recall, the person who had the most to say about using whey to preserve things including meats was Nanna Rognvaldardottir from Iceland.  Have you checked the Florilegium for her posts? Her book, Icelandic Food and Cookery, Hippocrene Books Inc, 171 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016  ISBN 0-7818-0878-2, 2002 mentions the _fermented_ whey process from the Middle ages although it looked to me like it was usually boiled first, then put into the whey.  Preserving pre-cooked food.  Also the whey changed the taste enough to where she says that it was "sometimes said that all food will eventually taste the same if it is kept in whey for long enough and there is some truth in that."

Regina Romsey

  As a matter of fact, I have