[Sca-cooks] And Speaking of Sweets...

SilverR0se@aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 13:52:12 PDT 2006

It is my friend's birthday on Sunday and I thought to make him a batch of
shortbread.

But, since I am a spiceaholic and since the generous Dame Selene has gifted
me with a wicked great jar of saffron and since to me baking is more of a
science than an art (with all due respect to you bakers out there), I have the
following question(s) on how best to incorporate the spice:

Saffron needs to bloom in hot liquid if not little threads are to be left in
the final product. Will adding a small amount of hot water affect the final
product? Should I melt a little of the butter and bloom the saffron in that? How
will melted butter affect the end result?

Thanks!

Renata