[Sca-cooks] only one cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:19:01 PDT 2006

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
> if you could have only one book regarding cooking withing
> the SCA time period(s), what would it be?  is there an
> early period book out there (circa 1000)?
> please keep cost in mind, i'm hoping for flowers at work
> as well. 8)
> thanks
> cailte
Here are some that concentrate on early stuff: The descriptions are mine
from my list that TI published in fall 2005.

Wood, Jacqui. *Prehistoric Cooking*. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK and
Charleston, SC: Tempus, 2001.
The early Celts left no cookbooks, but a number of European sites
still attempt to recreate the daily life of prehistoric Europe.
This work describes what they ate and drank in England
from non-recipe sources, including archaeological remains.
With “recipes” devised by the author from her experiences
recreating the foods and drinks that might have been eaten.

Banham, Debby. *Food in Anglo-Saxon Britain*. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK: Tempus, 2004.
There are no surviving Anglo-Saxon cookbooks. This work describes what they ate and drank in England from non-recipe sources.

Hagen, Ann. Anglo-Saxon Food and Drink: Production, Processing, Distribution, and Consumption.
This edition of Hagen combines her earlier titles: /A Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food/
and /A Second Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food & Drink./ Hardback edition with Extensive index. /512p (Anglo-Saxon Books 2006)
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/60497
/

Wilson, C. Anne. *Food & Drink in Britain : From the Stone Age to the 19th Century*.
1973. Numerous UK and US editions. Revised in 1991.
Highly recommended Reference!!! Wilson is great for reading and reference as regards the English and their diet.
Recipes are embedded in the text.
The book really concentrates on the earlier centuries from Pre-Roman through Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Medieval, Tudor, and only touches the Modern 18^th  century.

As to one cookbook???
I don't recall ever having just one cookbook.

Johnnae