[Sca-cooks] Savory Toasted Cheese was Savories for Banqueting Table?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 17 11:08:23 PDT 2006

>I have seen Savory Taosted Cheese (or STC) referred to many times on the
>list. It seems to be a staple in the many kingdoms that are not Caid.
>
>Since I live in Caid, could someone post the recipe or guide me to the proper
>spot in the Florilegium?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Renata

The recipe is from Kenelm Digby. You can find it in the Miscellany,
which is webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese
Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton:
and, if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets [green
onions], or Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of
Coals, and stir all well together, to Incorporate them; and when all
is of an equal consistence, strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and
eat it with tosts or crusts of White-bread. You may scorch it at the
top with a hot Fire-Shovel.

1/2 lb butter	1/8 lb Brie or other strongly flavored cheese
1/2 lb cream cheese	1/4 t white pepper

Melt the butter. Cut up the cheese and stir it into the butter over
low heat. You will probably want to use a whisk to blend the two
together and keep the sauce from separating (which it is very much
inclined to do). When you have a uniform, creamy sauce you are done.
You may serve it over asparagus or other vegetables, or over toast;
if you want to brown the top, put it under the broiling unit in your
stove for a minute or so. Experiment with some of the variations
suggested in the original.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com